Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 22.04 to 24.04 using Live "CD"

Beans

Re: Upgrade 22.04 to 24.04 using Live "CD"

My comment above was in response to your initial post which contained very limited information and you had to be asked before you posted information indicating you are referring to a production environment with multiple computers. Obviously in that situation one should test and even in a pure home computer environment at least, testing a live system. The point isn't testing but the method and your initial post seems to indicate you want to upgrade a single computer with 22.04 to 24.04 then test it.

I have 22.04 LTS on a machine
    The suggestion in post 9 would seem the best. Testing with a 'live' system or in a virtual environment might be useful to a limited degree but testing on the actual hardware would be best.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    My comment above was in response to your initial post which contained very limited information and you had to be asked before you posted information indicating you are referring to a production environment with multiple computers. Obviously in that situation one should test and even in a pure home computer environment at least, testing a live system. The point isn't testing but the method and your initial post seems to indicate you want to upgrade a single computer with 22.04 to 24.04 then test it.
    Yeah, well - I have a production environment with some 50+ laptops running 22.04 - hence I want to upgrade a single computer from 22.04 to 24.04 to do tests of both our preferred HW and the corporate apps that's required to be able to use them in our environment.
    I don't understand why I need to tell all of you all this to be "permitted" to ask the initial question without being challenged about the necessity in what I'd like to do...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jbygden View Post
    Yeah, well, the recommended (and apparently only supported?) way won't be available for 3 months, and I'd like to be able to do some tests before GA of the upgrade procedure.

It would seem I'd have to do "nuke-and-pave"-style re-install to be able to test then...
    The `do-release-upgrade -d` option was available, and will be available again for QA testing.

I'm in a team that performed FOUR successful release-upgrades on 24-April-2024 just prior to release of Ubuntu 24.04 LTS; that QA upgrade path was pulled down due to users encountering breakage and it will be restored once its back to reliable again.

Whilst BLOCKER bugs can be seen on the tracker page (https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/noble...tracking/44043) there are more if you search on launchpad (ie. BLOCKER bugs being the serious bugs). These will be fixed.

When the `-d` will be available again I don't know, but you could always spoof the meta development (https://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release-development) file so it is Supported: 1, but I'm only aware of non-destructive re-installs from installation media (still available on ISOs using calamares as the installer for 24.04 currently).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 --

Trust what guiverc says. He didn't blow his cover. He is "way too modest". (Respect) He "IS" the "QA" lead, besides a few other things. When I do ISO testing on what I need to see, the results go to him.

I might know diagnostics and work around's, because of my testing and me trying to make things work... But he does a lot of work that I don't have the patience for. I deal with Users, and my consultancy customers. I deal with machines and fixing them. He has to deal with DEV's and bureaucracy. I do not envy that at all. Though... He is in the loop for "what is current". Trust what he says implicitly.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The -d switch will upgrade Ubuntu to the development version. Ubuntu 24.04 is no longer a development version. So, it is not possible to use the -d switch to upgrade 22.04 LTS to 24.04 development version. Does the original poster want to upgrade 22.04 LTS to 24.10 development version? I do not think so.

In the past it was possible to re-install packages from the original install medium (CD-ROM or DVD) In fact Software and Updates>Ubuntu software still has an option to do that but on my machine it does not detect the USB stick. Perhaps it is because this install of 24.04 has been converted to 24.10 development version. Perhaps I should be trying this from 22.04 LTS which I do have installed.

I think the the original poster needs to set up off line repositories on the USB stick.

Regards

Edit: I tried my idea on 22.04 LTS I could not get Software & Updates to see the 24.04 LTS ISO USB stick as an installation medium. Off line repositories might be the way to go.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...ine/Repository

See Other Software tab

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
    Last edited by grahammechanical; 1 Week Ago at 01:07 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I should of thought of it hours ago. I use a command to change the internet addresses of the Ubuntu repositories to go from the latest version of Ubuntu to the next version of Ubuntu under development. You could use it to change the addresses of the 22.04 repositories (jammy) to the addresses of the 24.04 repositories (noble).

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/jammy/noble/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    Update/Upgrade will bring in the changes. What state your test machine will end in I cannot say. It is your decision.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I should of thought of it hours ago. I use a command to change the internet addresses of the Ubuntu repositories to go from the latest version of Ubuntu to the next version of Ubuntu under development. You could use it to change the addresses of the 22.04 repositories (jammy) to the addresses of the 24.04 repositories (noble).

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/jammy/noble/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    Update/Upgrade will bring in the changes. What state your test machine will end in I cannot say. It is your decision.

Regards
    That "IS" know as the 'debian release upgrade method' I mentioned, and gave a warning on... As the format and location of where and how that is done has now changed with 24.04... As I also noted here:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post14188379

That, at the bottom of that post, is what you would have to change it to once it finishes the updates... Not doing that is one of the things that is broken at the moment in the upgrade path.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

You can stop giving me advice on this now. I have wiped my 22.04 and done a fresh install of 24.04 instead.
    Interesting discussion though.
    And I keep coming back to the fact that I have to sufficiently motivate the reasons for my questions to get your "permission" to ask questions in this forum...
    Do you all experienced users in here expect all who asks questions are total newbies and complete morons?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

LOL. You do not need our "permission" to do something. You are really free to do as you please. That is on your own.

I care about Users, and that they are well supported. (You appear to care about your Users. Hats off to that.) I just want you to be aware of the risks, especially since there are problems, which currently there are with that process at the moment, more than on previous releases. On previous releases, you could do 'sudo do-release-upgrade -d' on the day of release, and there were no problems. That is the why of the hesitation.

I would personally feel terrible if I recommended--> Yes, go ahead with this (this way), and then without warning your upgrade is broken... and it was a known problem. You might agree that, you wouldn't be too happy with the results of that. Then you would lose faith in what we say, and in the quality of the release. I do have a sense of responsibility in what I say, and recommend.

You understand that right?

I am not special. I have no ego. I am just another User of Ubuntu here to share experience. I can say, I helped test Noble during it's DEV-Cycle. I think you will be pleased with how it turned out.

I hope you stick around to share your experiences with it, good or bad. If bad, I hope you take the time to file Bug Reports. Working through those is how we make Ubuntu better for everyone.

Good luck and enjoy.

EDIT -- Idea... Since you do have a professional and personal investment in how this turns out... I personally invite you to be involved with the testing of the upgrade process when that time comes. They are working on it. You do care about how that turns out for your 72 Users... Watch the "Ubuntu Development Version" Section for that. That might give you a pro-active leg up on your testing.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 1 Week Ago at 01:44 PM.

Beans

Do you all experienced users in here expect all who asks questions are total newbies and complete morons?
    Unless the person posts that information, there is no way to know and many people are. Your initial post had the sound of a new user as you asked "Can I somehow upgrade 22.04 to 24.04 using the USB-drive so I can do some initial tests". Of course anyone could do that but you don't ask about the potential consequences or give any information on your situation. Most of us are not telepathic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast